By: Roger Aronoff | Accuracy in Media
The Obama administration is poised to surrender control of certain Internet functions to non-profit ICANN, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, on October 1. According to Americans for Limited Government’s senior editor Robert Romano, opposition to this Internet giveaway has united Republicans such as Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) and presidential candidate Donald Trump. But questions remain as to whether or not the Republicans will unite sufficiently to insist language is included in a continuing resolution that will forbid the transfer of control.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) actually stripped out this language from the continuing resolution, and a vote to end debate on the current language, which does not fix the ICANN issue, failed on September 27. This is the latest Obama administration scandal, one that threatens the integrity of the Internet. President Obama is seeking to cedeoversight of Internet protocols to a multinational body, effectively ending unilateral American control over these functions.
Romano writes that this is the “Last chance to save the free and open Internet.”
A group of prominent national security professionals have sent a letter to Defense Secretary Ashton Carter and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Joseph Dunford Jr. in opposition to the transfer. “Of…immediate concern to us…is the prospect that the United States might be transferring to future adversaries a capability that could facilitate, particularly in time of conflict, cyberwarfare against us,” they write. “In the absence of [the National Telecommunications and Information Administration’s] stewardship, we would be unable to be certain about the legitimacy of all IP addresses or whether they have been, in some form or fashion, manipulated, or compromised.”
The transition could affect the status of Internet domain names, including .mil and .gov. “The Administration has failed to ensure U.S. ownership and control of .MIL and .GOV in perpetuity,” wrote a coalition of citizens and non-profits this August. “Both are vital national assets.” They argue that the Department of Commerce is doing “precisely” what Congress “forbade.”
One concern is that the transition will make these Internet functions subject to the desires of oppressive nations such as China and Russia. Yet the mainstream media are working to cast the change as managerial, and inconsequential. The Washington Post’s Fact Checker Glenn Kessler recently gave Senator Cruz three Pinocchios for saying that the change would “empower countries like Russia, like China, like Iran to be able to censor speech on the Internet.” This is because, Kessler writes, “ICANN says it is only a technical administrator that does not regulate content on the Internet” and this claims “it has power that does not exist.”
Similarly, The Los Angeles Times editorial board calls Sen. Cruz’s argument “ridiculous.” “The only role the U.S. government plays today is an administrative one, checking to make sure that ICANN follows the correct procedures before any changes to the master list of domains can go into effect,” they write. “That’s hardly the Internet’s last defense against the tyranny of despots.”
However, the LA Times editorial board may be overlooking other functions of ICANN.According to Motherboard, “one of the most important cryptographic key pairs on the internet” is about to be changed “for the first time” by none other than ICANN. “This key ensures that when web users try to visit a website, they get sent to the correct address,” writes Joseph Cox. “Without it, many internet users could be directed to imposter sites crafted by hackers, such as phishing websites designed to steal information.”
According to the Epoch Times, the New York-based newspaper owned and run by Chinese-Americans opposed to the Communist regime in China, “Already, the Chinese regime is moving to fill the void left by the U.S. handover—and its new system for governing the internet goes far beyond the responsibilities held by ICANN.” They state that “Over the last two years, Chinese leaders have drafted an authoritarian set of laws that governs every facet of the internet.”
Theresa Payton, writing for The Hill, argues that altering the U.S.’s relationship with ICANN during an election season is unwise. “When the calendar hits Sept. 30, a mere 6 weeks before our election, the United States cannot be assured that if any web site is hacked, the responsible party will be held accountable,” she writes. “We cannot be sure if a web site is valid. We cannot be sure if one country is being favored over another. These are all the things ICANN is responsible for and has worked perfectly since the Internet was created.” Payton is a former White House Chief Information Officer and currently the CEO of a cyber security company.
Why make the change now? she asks.
“As a private organization, ICANN is not bound by the First Amendment, which ICANN’s CEO and President Göran Marby admitted in a recent Senate hearing,” write Sen. Cruz and Representative Sean Duffy (R-WI) for The Daily Signal. “The First Amendment applies only to the [American] government. So if the government is out of the picture, the First Amendment is too. And that means that ICANN would be free to regulate internet speech by restricting which websites can gain access to the internet based on their speech.”
“It’s important to remember that the devil is always in the details, and what the administration attempts to spin as a ‘clerical’ function can easily be used to bludgeon free speech,” they add.
“So why is Obama willing to jeopardize internet freedom?” they ask. “The administration believes that continued U.S. supervision of the domain name system will prompt China, Russia, Iran, and other countries that have been clamoring for more influence in internet governance to fracture the internet by setting up their own networks, perhaps under United Nations control…By ending U.S. oversight, the Obama administration will disempower the American people and empower China, Russia, and Iran, putting those regimes one step closer to their goal,” which Cruz and Duffy argue is “to control the global internet infrastructure.”
Brett Schaefer and Paul Rosenzweig for Heritage’s Daily Signal wonder whether ICANN is too corrupt to take on additional duties. “Earlier this year, ICANN was challenged in U.S. court regarding its failure to follow proper procedures in awarding the .africa domain name,” they write. “The dilemma arose from the ICANN board’s attempt to improperly appease governments who had objected to the original delegation.”
Far from “rule by geeks”—who ostensibly have nothing to gain by appeasing global dictators—Schaefer and Rosenzweig foresee the transition as “rule by a global monopolistic self-perpetuating elite.”
If the Department of Commerce’s NTIA has successfully overseen the contract to date, one must ask why the transition is even necessary. This is especially true if the change is “minor,” as the LA Times editorial board has asserted. However, this is but another part of President Obama’s consistent push for multilateral agendas at the expense of American power and sovereignty.
The transition “has rankled Republicans who say it could put the internet in the hands of hostile actors,” reported The Hill, once again casting only Republicans, and not citizens, as in opposition to this change.
This is a radical change,” argued Rick Moran for The American Thinker. “I suspect we will see almost immediately that it was a mistake. But once the transfer is made, it will be too late to get it back, leaving us pretty much at the mercy of anti-freedom governments.”
The liberal media continue to assert that handing over a function of the Internet will have minor repercussions. That’s because few in the media want to blame President Obama for, once again, damaging U.S. interests in his pursuit of the transformation of America. This is a complicated issue, but after the lies employed to sell the country on the phony Iran deal, and on Obamacare, Congress should block this surrender of U.S. Internet oversight for at least as long as Obama is President.
Operation American Spring – May 16, 2014
Operation American Spring – May 16, 2014
- Can’t be done eh? Israel’s Southern Border Fence 100 Percent Effective in Preventing Illegals from Infiltra ting
- She is delusional! Fw: Rochester’s Pioneering Role
- Are you a DACA recipient?
- Sep 10, 2017 A tribute for the 16th anniversary of 9/11/2001
- YOU WERE THERE….I FOR ONE WILL NEVER FORGET YOUR BRAVERY AND SACRIFICE
- 9/11: 15th Anniversary Tribute (2001-2016)
- 9-11 Tribute songs – View full playlist (80 videos)
- We Have Forgoten! September 11, 2017 – Fake News Claims There Have Been No Attacks On The US – THEY LIE!
- Absolutely NO!!! Fw: A bipartisan win
- Crosses and Bibles Being Forcibly Taken Off Christian Churches. This is how the Christian Persicutions began in Africa and now Europe!
- Are We In The End Times?
- Bubonic plague found in Arizona ticks, fleas
- Charlottesville Video and Stills From Video: Watch the car getting its drivers window smashed out
- STEVEN LEE LAVENDER
- I support this! 35 States already are on board! It only takes 38 (of the 50) States to convene a Constitutional Convention. This will give you something to think about.
- CALLING ALL PATRIOTS: Rise and Fight For the Country You Love
- New Zeal Blog: SNOPES TAKEN HOSTAGE: Left-wing “fact-checker” reveals it has lost control of its website
- WND EXCLUSIVE Rabbi claims his Bible code links Scripture to calendar
- Obama Is Still Not Off the Hook For Gun Running Scandal That Killed Border Agent
- Shooter in Bronx-Lebanon Hospital – Dr Henry Bello – Nigerian Native
- Young John Wayne
- Philippe Petit – The Young Man Who Gave The Twin Tower Life And Love In 1974
- This is actually what America would look like without gerrymandering
- University Of Texas Stabber Reenacted White Genocide – 14-minute, poorly produced video at his home that shows Kendrex White and his classmates reenacting the murder of white people by Haitian political figure Dutty Boukman
- What Chuck Schumer is revealing out in the open
- Trump to CBS’s Dickerson: ‘I Love Your Show — I Call It Deface the Nation’
- ‘What the hell?’: TV screens go dark as Spectrum cuts channels, raises prices
- Obama makes $400K for speech at A&E event: report
- FULL TRANSCRIPT: President Donald Trump’s interview with “Face the Nation” (This is good)
- What Chuck Schumer is revealing out in the open
- Scotland: Priest Fired After Objecting To Anti-Jesus Muslim Prayer
- Gavin McInnes: Hear me read Ann Coulter’s “banned” speech, like I just did in Berkeley
- THE REBEL MEDIA: BOMBSHELL: Inside Canada-USA “Refugee” Trafficking Ring
- Lincoln’s Hard Hand of War ~ “Brion McClanahan on an American dictator killing his own people.”- LewRockwell
- Muslim men can rape non-Muslim women to teach them a lesson, claims woman Islamic professor
- Why the Aleutian Islands of Alaska should be reclaimed from Russia in Obama illegal land give-away!
- Aposte Hirsi Ali: We Must Reach out to the Reformers
- Project Veritas: Ask Trump to Unleash Project Veritas
- New Law Means You Could be the Subject of a Vaccine or Medication Experiment Without Your Informed Consent (One last Christmas surprise from President Obama.)
- Former CIA officer: Flynn fired over high-level DC pedophile list
- MICHAEL SAVAGE NEWSLETTER: How about Obama’s meddling in 4 foreign elections?
- Thursday Morning: Logan’s Warning Live on the Captain’s AMERICA Radio Show! Via AM 860
- Reflections On A Funeral, And What The Hell Is Going On???
- Clarion Project: Changing America to Suit Islam Helps Muslims Integrate
- MORE FAKE NEWS (LIES) FROM LOUISE “SLAUGHTER THE CHILDREN”! his ‘woman’ should be IN JAIL!!!
- New Zeal Blog: It’s Time to Impeach the Judges
- Here’s What The Prosecutors in the Bundy Ranch Case Didn’t Want the Court To See Or Hear (Video & Pictures)
- Radical Erdogan Builds 9000 Mosques & Bans Christian Liturgy
- Dear Liberals
- Fascinating animation shows immigration into United States since 1820
- Empty Tent City in Saudi Arabia!!!
- It’s the LAW — BAN ISLAM IN THE USA
- UPDATE:::2nd UPDATE::::Hungary’s Prime Minister is fed up with Muslim Migrants destroying his country PLUS Kuwait Imposes Visa Ban on Five Muslim-Majority Countries PLUS ‘Time to act’ Italy calls for mass migrant deportations as half a million refugees arrive
- Pastor, Eight Others Missing in Uganda after Muslims Beat, Rape Congregation Throng of about 90 attacks prayer meeting of 80.
- The Truth About Trump’s ‘Muslim Ban’
- Slaughter does not care for opposition voices: Resistance Toolkit
- New Leaked Documents Reveal Expansive Soros Funding to Manipulate U.S. Elections
- Heads Up! FEMA Is Preparing Communities for ‘Complex Coordinated Terror Attacks’ – YouTube
- *** UPDATE*** gotnews.com: BREAKING: Records Suggest #FortLauderdale Shooter #EstebanSantiago Is Puerto Rican Islamic Terrorist & Anime Fan
- Is this YOUR future?
- Official: Suspected Gunman Told FBI He Was Being Forced To Fight For ISIS
- Debt collapse ‘perfect storm’ shaping up that will almost instantly wipe out pension funds nationwide
- Judas Glenn Beck Makes Anti Trump Alliance With Far Left
- Ed Boston Podcast
- Who is Keith Ellison (Hakim Muhammad as he declared in a foreign magazine article)? Keith Hakim, Keith X Ellison, and Keith Ellison-Muhammad? What name is his real one?
- Fast And Furious Friday!! 11-11-2016 11/11 by HOV Radio | Politics Conservative Podcasts
- Election Night Extravaganza, Part Deux! 11/09 by English Defence League Radio | Politics Conservative Podcasts
- ELECTION 2016 EXTRAVAGANZA!! 11/08 by Red Fox Blogger | Politics Conservative Podcasts
- WANTED FOT HIGH TREASON
- Wikileaks ‘Doomsday Machine’ Now Triggered, Will It Bring Down The Entire United States Government?
- The Danger Zone: Why Israel Greatly Fears Barack Obama’s Last Few Months In Office
- As Obamacare implodes, this candidate wants to serve as a SUICIDE CULT leader for America
- Acetaminophen—the main ingredient in Tylenol
- New Zeal Blog: Obama’s Reckless Plan Threatens U.S. Oversight of Internet
- New Zeal Blog: Trevor Loudon presents “Enemies Within” Florida screenings
- MYSTERIOUS Structures Have Been Revealed in Satellite Photos.. Government Chiefs Wants Banned
- Rothschild Insider Warned of an Elite Planned Race War in America
- Obama At United Nations Calls For America To Be ‘Bound By International Laws’ Give Up Control
- Now that’s a time bomb! 700-year-old hand grenade used in the Crusades is found off the coast of Israel
- The Free Thought Project Newsletter
- VOTE 2016 – HOLGER FOR PRESIDENT
- The Strange Tale of the First Woman to Run for President
- United Nations Backing Obama’s Secret Takeover Of America’s Police Force
- Alex Jones: Elite Are Going To Kill Trump! – YouTube
- Breaking911’s video: Fascinating animation shows immigration into United States since 1820
- Welcome to the mark of the beast
- Thursday: Logan’s Warning Live on the Vito and Vito AM Radio Show!
- When Farmlands Of America Become The Killing Fields Of Tomorrow
- Are ‘Food Line BETA Tests’ And ‘FEMA Camp Dry Runs’ Being Done In America Right Now?
- Interesting Article More Research Is Necessary: So what does the “Presidential Transition” mean?
- Is This Our Ft Sumner Moment> BLM assassinates American Citizen
- James O’Keefe: Hidden Cam: O’Keefe team breaks Common Core contract scandal
- Pollitically Correctness Run A Muck! America’s Agitator: Donald Trump Is the World’s Most Dangerous Man
- TEXAS: As Feds Plan to Cut Border Monitoring, Texas Officials Ask Why
- VIDEO: Iran FIRES ROCKETS this close to U.S. WARSHIPS
- One World Religion: Pope Francis Says All Major Religions Are ‘Meeting God In Different Ways’
- LA – CC stands for Islam solidairity
- Liberal Policy Failure: Mass Shooting in Canada Despite Strict Gun Control Laws…
- Hidden Cam: Another Top Publishing Exec Says “It’s never about the kids” – James O’Keefe
- Rochester man charged with planning ISIS attack at bar on NYE
- 629,551 hits
Be a Mosquebuster – grab a button for your website
- Follow a12iggymom's Blog on WordPress.com
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets